Lip tie or tongue tie is not painful or causes any health issues, but it can affect the quality or your baby’s life. A baby lip tie is the most frustrating breastfeeding experience for the baby and mom.
Because upper lip tie restricts the full movement of the baby lips so that the babyface difficulty during the feeding and talking. Lip tie can be treated and fixed, if you notice it at time.
You don’t need any treatment for them, but you face lip tie problems later in life. To know more about the lip tie toddler keep reading this blog.
What Is Lip Tie?
The pieces of tissues behind the upper lips are known as the frenulum. When these pieces of tissues get too thick or stiff. Then they restrict the baby’s upper lips movement.
This condition is called baby lip tie. The treatment of lip tie and tongue tie is the same, but lip tie is not studied that much as compared to tongue-tie. Lip tie with the tongue tie makes breastfeeding frustrating for the baby.
In some cases, the lip tier toddler can cause trouble in the weight gain in the babies. A lip tie is not that much more common than a tongue tie. Some studies believe that tongue ties are genetic problems.
Well, lip ties do not cause any serious health issues in babies if your baby is gaining weight according to their age and pediatrician’s guidelines. But diagnosing baby lip tie and consulting with your doctor is good for the baby.
Because maybe your baby will face lip tie problems later in life. Check out these symptoms.
Upper Lip Tie Symptoms
The most common symptoms of lip tie or tongue tie are facing difficulty in breastfeeding. These Symptoms are:
1. Poor Latch: This is one of the leading signs of the lip tie because babies who have the baby lip tie are unable to flange around the nipple correctly.
2. Face problem during nipple suction: If your baby has an upper lip tie then your baby faces difficulty in maintaining the suction on the nipple. Your baby has come off the breast sooner than they should.
3. Babyface gas issues: Babies are facing gassiness problems if they are the upper lip tie because they intake more air during breastfeeding.
4. Colicky and fussiness in babies: Baby becomes fussy and colicky, if he has a lip tie because of the gassiness, constant hunger, and the frustration of not sustaining latch.
5. Lip inward: If the baby lip tie then the baby upper lip curls inward, because the frenulum is too tight.
The tightness of the upper lip tie may cause the upper lip into the mouth.
6. Poor Weight gain: The lip tie toddler faces the poor weight gain and height because they do not properly consume breast milk.
Breast milk is most important for the baby’s physical growth.
Some other symptoms are falling asleep during nursing, making a clicking sound during feeding, colic, and difficulty in breastfeeding.
Symptoms That Mother Experience are:
- Breast pain
- Uncomfortable feeding sessions
- White stripe on the nipple end
- Creases or flat nipples after feeding
- Plugged ducts
- Low milk supply
How To Diagnosing Lip Tie Toddler
lip tied is diagnosed by the physical exam. Most of the pediatricians diagnose the lip tie according to the appearance of the lip tie. If your baby also faces the problems with their latch, the doctors will quickly notice it.
The best option for diagnosing lip tie toddlers is to consult a doctor or health care, specialist. If you do not diagnose the lip tie on time, then it will become severe.
(Also read: How To Burp A Baby: Step By Step Guide to Burp a Baby)
The treatment of lip tie is depend according to the baby lip tie class and condition. Here the treatment according to the condition of the baby lip tie:
1. Manually: Lip ties that come under the class of 1 and 2 do not require any formal treatment. For the treatment of class 1 or 2 doctors may suggest to doing some exercise.
In these exercises, parents gently slightly finger underneath the upper lip. Slighting the finger under the lips can stretch the frenulum tissue without surgery.
Regular practice of this term can release the tissues’ tightness and allow the normal movement of the upper lips.
(Also read: When Do Babies Crawl – Baby Crawling)
2. Lip Tie Surgery: During the lip surgery the frenulum is cut through the operation. Most of the doctor use lasers to cut the frenulum, this type of lip tie surgery is called a frenectomy.
During this surgery, the mother lies on the dentist’s chair with a baby. After that doctor applies a local topical numbing agent to the frenulum and they don’t need anesthesia.
If the frenulum is cut by the laser then sometimes stitches are required and sometimes not. If The cases are severe then they may require only one cut with the scissors. The entire lip tie surgery only takes a few minutes and may cause mild pain to the baby.
Complications Of Lip Tie Infant?
Severe lip tie or tongue tie may cause trouble in weight gaining in the baby. Then you need a supplement for breastfeeding or feeding a baby with the milk bottle. This will make it easier for the baby to get nourishment.
According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the baby who has severe lip tie then they face difficulty in eating with finger foods or eating from a spoon.
According to the researcher’s lip tie not cause any complications later in life. But some believe that untreated lip tie can lead to tooth decay in toddlers.
(Also read: How To Get Rid Of Newborn Hiccups)
Home Care After The Treatment
Try these home care treatments for the better recovery of baby these are:
- Breastfeeding after the lip tie surgery
- Soothe the pain after the surgery or treatment.
- Watch or diagnose or baby any complications.
If you like this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to friends or sharing it on Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook. Thank You!